24 Sep RED Avocado Chocolate Mousse
Written by, Dara Wilson
REDiscover avocado chocolate mousse in the healthiest, most delicious way.
Creamy, luscious avocado blended with dark chocolate. What more could autumn ask for?
RED avocado chocolate mousse, that is.
Chocolate mousse is one of the most decadent desserts, but also one of the fattiest. Full of cream and sugar, it is neither keto friendly, nor an option for people who avoid dairy.
Avocadoes are packed with omega-3 fatty acids, (healthy fat), beta-carotene and lutein (antioxidants), plus magnesium and potassium (minerals). Vitamins C, E, and K are also present, along with B vitamins: folate (B9), niacin (B3), pantothenic acid (B5), and riboflavin (B2).
Do we even have to explain what dark chocolate is packed with? Happiness, sanity, nirvana. Oh yeah, it also has antioxidants.
A combination of healthy and sweet creates a powerhouse of nutrients with natural flavors and sugars.
Our inspiration stems from one of the greats, Giada de Laurentiis, but with a few tweaks, we have made this recipe even better using RED dark chocolate.
RED Chocolate Avocado Mousse
Prep Time: 10 minutes- 2 hours (depending on if the mousse is chilled)
Servings: 3 heaping or 4 small servings
1 RED 60% Cocoa Extra Dark 3.5 oz. bar crushed (about ¾ cup); any type of RED dark chocolate will work
3 large avocadoes
2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract (no one is judging you if it’s imitation)
¼ tsp Kosher salt
3 tsp agave (optional for more sweetness if not on a keto diet)
Fresh raspberries or strawberries (optional for garnish)
- Microwave the crushed chocolate bar in a microwave-safe bowl in 15-second bursts, stirring between each. Watch carefully to not burn the chocolate. When the chocolate is almost completely melted, remove it from the microwave and stir until smooth. Set aside. If you prefer to melt the chocolate in a small saucepan, the same rules apply: Melt on low heat and stir occasionally. Watch the chocolate so it does not burn. When it is almost completely melted, take it off the heat and set aside.
- Halve and pit the avocados. Scoop them into a high-powered food processor with a steel blade. Add the melted chocolate, cocoa powder, salt, and vanilla extract.
- Blend mixture until very smooth and creamy. Stop the processor to scrape down the bowl as needed. Taste and add a few teaspoons of agave if additional sweetness is desired. Spoon into ramekins or other dessert glasses. Enjoy immediately or refrigerate until well chilled, (2 hours- overnight). Serve topped with raspberries or strawberries, or both!
- Note: If you would like to use an immersion blender, this can be done as well. If you melt the chocolate on the stove, just add the avocado, cocoa powder, salt, and vanilla to the pot and blend. Or, put all the ingredients in a deep bowl and blend.
- Extra note: Add whatever optional toppings you would like such as dark chocolate shavings, whipped cream, or coconut cream. For extra creaminess you may also add ¼ cup of almond milk to the mixture before blending. The mousse can be stored covered in the refrigerator for up to a week, but why would you wait that long to finish it?
Fall into fall with RED’s avocado chocolate mousse. Your sweet tooth will thank you.
Avocado Mousse Nutritional Facts
1 Heaping Serving (1/3):
CALORIES: 391CAL, CARBS: 30.4G, protein: 6G, fat: 34G, saturated fat: 4.2G, cholesterol: 0MG, sodium: 93MG, fiber: 16.7G, sugar: 4.6G
1 small Serving (1/4):
CALORIES: 293CAL, CARBS: 22.8G, protein: 4.5G, fat: 25.5G, saturated fat: 3G, cholesterol: 0MG, sodium: 70MG, fiber: 12.5G, sugar: 3.5G