15 Dec RED Hot Chocolate
Written by, Christine Chanel
This RED hot chocolate packs a punch of cozy flavor without unwanted sugars or powder clumps.
Looking for a delicious warm-up? The answer is yes because, boy, it is getting C-O-L-D.
Sometimes coffee or tea just doesn’t seem to fit the mood—we yearn for something that’s comforting yet smooth, luxurious yet nostalgic. Ah yes, a nice warm cup of hot chocolate.
Hot chocolate vs. Hot cocoa.
Is there a difference? Well, yes. Hot cocoa is made from cocoa powder (you know the stuff…we won’t name names) — it typically becomes clumpy and sticky, stuck to the bottom of your mug. It’s just a little ‘meh’. Hot chocolate on the other hand is made with real chopped chocolate. Hot chocolate is richer, creamier, and all around the superior warm treat.
Now let’s talk about milk. Packed with C vitamins, minerals, iron, and potassium. Coconut milk is likely the creamiest milk out there. “Unsweetened” coconut milk can be found at around 45 calories per cup compared to the 150 found per serving in whole milk. Temperature is key—about 175 degrees F. Once there are small bubbles on the sides of your pan, you are good to go. You do not want to bring it to a full boil.
Choose your chocolate
No matter if you prefer Milk Or Dark—using RED chocolate in this recipe versus a glorified sugar powder makes this cozy drink extra special. RED is crafted with natural sweeteners derived from melons all while delivering buttery, creamy flavor without the added refined sugar. 40% less fat, and 35% fewer calories than other leading chocolates. RED is low carb, reduced calorie, reduced fat, gluten-free, Kosher certified, and vegetarian. RED is also Weight Watchers, Whole30, Keto, and Atkins friendly.
In addition, this recipe can come together quickly. A one-way ticket to cozy-town is right around the 5-minute mark!
RED Hot Chocolate
*makes two servings*:
- 1/2 cups unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cups unsweetened Coconut Cream
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cups chopped RED Dark Chocolate
- pinch sea salt
- non-dairy whipped cream (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk, coconut cream, and maple syrup over medium-high heat until it starts to steam. Careful not to let boil.
- Once 175 degrees F, or small bubbles form, remove from heat.
- Whisk in vanilla, cinnamon, and chocolate until smooth.
- Place back on low heat for 3-5 minutes, stir and serve hot. Add whipped cream and desired toppings.